Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hitbox Removal. Lots of fixes.

So, I removed the hitboxes, and the game looks much better, but I realized later that certain things didn't look right, or didn't make sense.

One in particular, was that the snow on the ground was all white all over and looked really boring.
So I added a gradient to it, made it darker the further back it went on the screen, and also a bit darker at the front of the screen. So basically it's lightest where Daisuke walks. It instantly made the game look significantly better! Added a sense of depth to the forest as you walk through it.

I also noticed that the distance between Daisuke and the enemies was all wrong. I guess I just didn't notice it with the hitboxes in the way, but it really doesn't make sense for the enemies to run into Daisuke then stand on top of him.
So what I did instead was make it so that when they get right in front of him, they stop and attack. Right when they're at striking distance with their weapon. And if Daisuke gets too close, they run backwards. They're much smarter now, and I am rather pleased with them.

One other problem that I realized I missed (probably because of hitboxes) was that Daisuke could basically just run through enemies with minimal damage. Keeping in mind though, that the enemies themselves do not cause damage, rather, it is their weapons that do damage to Daisuke. Even still, it just didn't seem right that Daisuke could simply run past them.
So I decided to give enemies a bit of "mass" I couldn't ACTUALLY give them mass obviously, so instead I simply added a little script to their AI that would push Daisuke back slightly (at about his walking speed) in the opposite direction. This would make it easier for the enemies to attack Daisuke, meaning the player would actually have to stop and fight more of them.
I am pleased with this, because now if someone wants to power through everything and run past enemies, they will be forced to take significant damage.

I also dramatically changed the way the Bow Bandit works. Instead of firing straight at you, he shoots arrows into the air (like a mortar) and they rain down on you depending on your position. I like this way much better because it is cleaner, easier to manage and I can reuse it over and over again!

So here is a cool action shot that I happened to take while testing:


I also made a couple of videos. One really crappy one, and one decent one. Both videos were made after hitbox removal, but before corrections. They're both on YouTube:


No comments:

Post a Comment