Friday, November 20, 2009

Kuji-in: "Rin".

So I came up with a creative solution to an issue I was having.

I originally adopted a % health system with X amount of lives. I changed it to a % defense with X amount of health system and only 1 life.

That probably didn't make any sense to anyone besides myself.

The way Daisuke's health/life system works, is that you can take a certain amount of preliminary damage before losing a chunk of your health bar. This allows different types of attacks to effect Daisuke in different ways. For instance, if you get hit by one arrow, you'll lose a certain % of your defense, but you may not lose any life. On the other hand, if you get hit by a flaming arrow, it will do more damage to your defense. If you get a flurry of sword swings, your defense will be drained so quickly that you will probably lose one or two chunks of your health bar.

So to put it more simply, you start off with about 5 chunks of life, and 100% defense. Once your defense is drained to 0% you will lose 1 chunk of life from your life bar, and then you will go back to 100% for the next chunk of life.

Different types of attacks will drain your defense at different speeds.

The big problem with this is that because of the way that the hitboxes work, you will sustain some damage to your defense when you strike an enemy, even if you don't get hit.

I could go back and do some major work to the way the hitboxes work, but I came up with an interesting and creative way to work with this system.

OK! This is the way that Daisuke has been working, and I've had mixed feelings about it for a while, but I found something to make it a little more fun.

If your defense is less than 100%, you can hit space while standing still to perform the first Kuji-in which is "Rin" for strength. This will quickly allow you to gain back your defense back to 100%. You won't however gain back any health, so once that is gone, "Rin" won't help you get it back. Also, you must be standing still and not performing any other actions to use "Rin".

Right now, "Rin" does not cost any Genki, and I'm not sure whether or not I'll make it cost any .. I guess I just want to get some impressions before I make any decisions like that, maybe I'll try a few things out first.

Took some damage:


Use "Rin":


Defense is back full again:


Also, if anyone has any creative ideas for levels, characters, skills or anything else that would be cool in the game, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment